Wednesday, January 12, 2022

🕮 The Bone Shard Emperor by Andrea Stewart

 

  • Published: 2021
  • Pages: 560
  • Series: The Drowning Empire #2
  • Source: Library Book

I found the first book in this series full of very imaginative world building and interesting characters. The writing maybe needed just a bit more polish. This book suffers from middle-book slog - I certainly didn't fly through it. Things slow down, there's a lot of politicking that goes nowhere, there's a lot of sailing around. Characters make decisions, many of which make you want to throw the book against a wall. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but when it happens too much it starts to frustrate me. But, it did pick up in the last quarter of the book and things rollicked along then at breakneck speed with a few surprises thrown in.

I enjoyed the world Stewart built enough to see it through the conclusion of the trilogy when it comes out despite the bit of sophomore slump.

fantasy, slow-paced, politics, war

No comments:

Post a Comment