- Published: 2021
- Pages: 624
- Source: Library Book
Three stories a thousand years apart (1012, 2012, 3012), all woven together. I have mixed feelings about this book. This is a book some people will love, some will hate, and sometime those will be the same person. It's literary science fiction with a big dose of magical realism. There are some good things going on with this book - the construction and interweaving of the stories, the research into the Maya for the past story, the very interesting and different future story. But there are challenges. I'm not one to shy away from made up words, but it was a tough slog in the beginning, and the Belizean Kriol sections really slowed me down. The pacing was slow, and the future plotline was pretty heavy handed as far as messages. I'm not sorry that I read it, but it just left me feeling a little frustrated.
sci-fi, magical-realism, slow-pace, standalone
No comments:
Post a Comment